As vehicles for coordinating shared work across our 80+ member organizations, committees and working groups are able to respond quickly to pressing issues by leveraging our network of diverse organizations and volunteers.
The Steering Committee is focused on the implementation of strategic objectives, providing momentum for targeted goals, supporting the work of working groups and committees, and coordinating internal communication and collaboration within the MCA network. The Steering Committee also helps to convene alliance members and the broader environmental justice community around our equity agenda.
- CHAIR: Magge Fernandez, Sustainable Miami
- TREASURER: Nancy Metayer, New Florida Majority
- Zelalem Adefris, Catalyst Miami
- Trenise Bryant, The Miami Workers Center
- Salome Garcia, 350 South Florida
- Emily Gorman, Sierra Club Florida
- Cynthia Hernandez, AFL-CIO
- Adrian Madriz, SMASH
- David McDougal, Consultant
- Eleazar Melendez, Communications Consultant
- Bruce Stanley, Emerge Miami
- Melissa Tavares, Sachamama / FLIC
- Claudia Tenzer, Conservation Concepts
Legislative Committee: The MCA Legislative Committee provides vital information, study, expertise, and perspectives to federal, state, and local MCA priority policy and issue areas.
— Chair: Eleazar Melendez, Communications Consultant
Outreach/Membership Committee: The MCA Outreach Committee is focused on growing our movement through high-traffic-event canvassing, flood-zone door-to-door canvassing, speaking at MCA member organization events (to increase buy-in within MCA network), and speaking at non-MCA organization events, including city council and commission meetings, educational organizations, and intersectional social justice gatherings.
— Chair: Salome Garcia, 350 South Florida
Communications Committee: The MCA Communications Committee works together to design, execute, evaluate and improve our communications strategy, including both strengthening the communications infrastructure within the alliance and driving our outreach to key constituencies and decision-makers.
— Chair: Melissa Taveras, Sachamama/FLIC
● Development Committee: provides financial oversight and will work with the newly forming advisory committee to identify and pursue funding opportunities.
–Chair: David McDougal, Consultant
Working groups are created on an as-needed basis to address and organize around pressing and timely issues.
● Clean Energy Working Group
Mondays at 5:30 pm
LEAD: Zelalem Adefris, Catalyst Miami
● Resilient Miami Working Group
Tuesdays at 5:30 pm
LEAD: Eleazar Melendez, Communications Consultant
● Disaster Resilience Working Group
Thursdays at 5:30 pm
LEAD: Nancy Metayer, New Florida Majority